Ideas & Inspiration for Shades of Grey
(NOT to be confused with 50 Shades of Gray by E.L. James!)
Welcome to Chromatacia, where for as long as anyone can remember society has been ruled by a Colortocracy. Social hierachy is based upon one’s limited color perception. society is dominated by color. In this world, you are what you can see, and Eddie Russett, a better-than-average red perception wants to move up.
Title-specific resources for your Book to Art Club:
- Jasper Fforde’s jam-packed website for Shades of Grey. This book is pretty strange in vocabulary, so check here for dictionaries and bestiaries.
- Fforde’s YouTube channel has three “infoganda” (info-propaganda) from the world of Chromatacia: Lime,Swans, and Yateveo.
- This hour-long Radiolab episode will blow your mind on the topic of color perception.
- Alas, no discussion questions for this novel! If you write some, let us know!
- A Pinterest board full of ideas and inspiration for themed projects.
About the suggested projects:
Bring on the color! This off-kilter yet exhilarating book is all about the color spectrum and the question of how we perceive color. Play in whatever medium you’d like with colors, black, white, and grey/gray. Charcoal, oil pastels, paint – anything that allows you to vary shades by tiny degrees. Gradients can be especially interesting to explore. Oh, and spoons. Have fun!